Leveraging Benefits of Regional Economic Integration: The Lao People’s Democratic Republic and the Greater Mekong Subregion
Strategically located in the heart of the Greater Mekong Subregion, Lao People’s Democratic Republic (Lao PDR) is well placed to leverage benefits from regional cooperation to spur economic growth.
This report shows how the Lao PDR can leverage its regional position to boost trade, increase agriculture, and harness the power of its cities to promote inclusive and equitable growth.
Analyzing the Lao PDR's production and trading structure, it details the Greater Mekong Subregion's plan to improve competitiveness, community, and connectivity in order to converge income and living standards between members.
The report also discusses the potential for the Lao PDR to upgrade its value chain positioning, diversify its industries, and capitalize on regional cooperation to achieve its development targets.
- Executive Summary
- The Lao PDR and the Greater Mekong Subregion Economic Cooperation Program
- Integration of the Lao PDR into the Greater Mekong Subregion and the Global Economy
- The Export Structure of the Lao PDR with the Greater Mekong Subregion and the Rest of the World
- Structural Transformation: Diversification and Upgrading
- Diversifying and Upgrading: Capabilities for New and More Complex Products
- Upgrading Paths: Agriculture
- Upgrading Paths: Services
- Upgrading Paths: Regional Integration for Expanding Global Trade
- The Fourth Industrial Revolution: Implications for the Lao PDR and the Greater Mekong Subregion
- The Role of Cities as Engines of Growth: Agglomeration Economies
- Connectivity to Enhance Trade and Integration in the Lao PDR and the Greater Mekong Subregion
Published December 2022.
Source: Asian Development Bank
Download (5.63 MB)