ASEAN and Global Value Chains: Locking in Resilience and Sustainability
Southeast Asia has become one of the most important regional hubs for global value chains (GVCs)—the cross-border networks that separate production stages from concept to consumption.
By participating in GVCs, most Southeast Asia economies have grown strongly and reduced poverty. GVCs have created a strong manufacturing and export base, more and better-quality jobs, and spread knowledge, innovation and technology. However, their social and environmental impact can also lead to inequality and increased greenhouse gas emissions.
This book reviews the challenges and opportunities facing GVCs in Southeast Asia as they build greater resilience and promote sustainable, green development for the region and its people.
- Towards Future-proofing Global Value Chains
- The State of Play of ASEAN Global Value Chains
- Jobs and Global Value Chains in Southeast Asia
- Technology, Global Value Chains, and Jobs: Continuing ASEAN’s Role in Transformed Global Value Chains
- Decarbonization and Global Value Chains in ASEAN
- Global New Normal and ASEAN Global Value Chains
Published March 2023.
Source: Asian Development Bank
Download (5.97 MB)