Southeast Asia Development Symposium 2022: Sustainable Solutions for Southeast Asia’s Recovery
Organizers: Asian Development Bank
Date and time
The pandemic has had a deep and profound impact throughout Southeast Asia. Many of the region’s hard-won gains in reducing poverty, creating jobs, and enhancing health and wellbeing have been reversed, with the poor and vulnerable particularly hard-hit. While countries continue to grapple with the severe economic, health, and social impacts of the pandemic, vaccine rollouts, the promise of new treatments, substantial economic relief, and targeted social support are helping to make inroads. Green shoots of recovery are starting to appear, and Southeast Asian nations are now laying the groundwork for reopening, and a more enduring recovery.
Themed “Sustainable Solutions for Southeast Asia’s Recovery,” the Southeast Asia Development Symposium (SEADS) 2022 will provide governments in the region with a unique opportunity to discuss innovative solutions to “build back better” and rebound from the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) crisis.
SEADS 2022 will specifically focus on actionable solutions supporting three key lynchpins of the region’s recovery and revitalization:
- Addressing debilitating supply chain bottlenecks;
- Rejuvenating the region’s once-flourishing tourism industry; and
- Advancing digital transformation.
SEADS 2022 will also explore new opportunities that can take the region beyond business as usual by helping countries:
- Boost revenues through adequate domestic resource mobilization (DRM) measures;
- Find green and environmentally sustainable pathways;
- Expand inclusivity for the poor and other vulnerable groups; and
- Ensure equality and greater opportunities for women.