SEADS 2023 Thematic Session
Ecotourism 2.0: Navigating the Transition to Net Zero
Organizers: Asian Development Bank, Visa, and the Pacific Asia Travel Association
30 March • 16:00–17:30 GMT+8/ Bali Local Time
- Patsian Low, Vice–President, Inclusive Impact and Sustainability for Asia–Pacific, Visa
- Stefano Baronci, Director General, Airports Council International Asia–Pacific
- Dechen Tsering, Regional Director and Representative, Asia and the Pacific Office, United Nations Environment Programme
- Jean-Baptiste Grassin, Managing Director, Nomad Plastic
- Moderator: Rebecca Tan, Bureau Chief, Southeast Asia, Washington Post
- Master of Ceremonies: Pavnesh Kumar, Program Head, Sustainability and Social Responsibility, PATA
This session will explore the future of sustainable travel and feature practical steps to engage service providers, local businesses, tourism bodies, and travelers to catalyze joint efforts to reduce tourism’s carbon footprint. It will also look at new technologies, policies, and best practices for transitioning to net-zero travel.
Nature and culture-based ecotourism has seen increasing popularity in recent years as a sustainable and responsible way to travel. With rising risks from the changing climate, the shift to ecotourism 2.0 and advance toward net-zero emissions for all forms of tourism has become urgent.
This panel discussion aims to explore the challenges and opportunities of navigating the transition to net-zero tourism and minimizing the sector’s environmental impact. The panel will bring together industry experts, policymakers, and academics to share their insights and experiences on how to promote sustainable tourism practices that align with climate change mitigation goals. It will also delve into the role of technology, innovation, and collaboration in supporting the transition to net-zero tourism, and examine its potential economic, social, and environmental benefits. The discussion will highlight actionable takeaways for participants to apply in their respective fields.
SESSION OBJECTIVES AND BENEFITS
The session aims to:
- Explore the challenges and opportunities in transitioning to net-zero ecotourism 2.0;
- Examine the role of technology, innovation, and collaboration in supporting the transition to net-zero tourism;
- Discuss the potential economic, social, and environmental benefits of ecotourism 2.0; and
- Provide actionable takeaways for participants to apply in their respective fields.
The session will deepen participants’ understanding of the challenges and opportunities in promoting sustainable tourism and share innovative solutions and best practices for achieving net-zero emissions. Participants will develop a deeper understanding of how to foster the transition to a net-zero future and how they can help accelerate the transition.